Tuesday, 22 March 2016

Misbehaving celebrities

blog post #5:

Fans of celebrities such as Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, and Kanye West stay idolized and popular due to people either looking up or down at/on them. When they do things that people usually look down on their popularity grows because people say things like “Oh did you see what “so-and-so” did. I can't believe they did that”. This usually causes that happening to gain popularity until it is talked about on the radio, TV shows and magazines earning them even more popularity that to begin with. The same thing happens when positive impact is made on society. If you look at it in a way misbehaving actually earn celebrities a bit more popularities because not only do their fans what to know what happened but others as well.   

Also in the society we live in today it is filled with social media. You really can go far without seeing an advertisement with a celebrity on it or a brand name store using endorsement. Practically everyone has accessibility to the Internet and many popular things are based on finding out information on famous people. From this environment paparazzi is established and is one of the reasons that celebrities may “misbehave”. Due to the stress put on famous people there is a need to exceed expectations and manage a “normal” life and be healthy and look pleasing for society's expectations and hole lot of other things.   

I think that they, as celebrities should not be put on a pedestal because they are apparently “superior” to the working class but they should not be blamed for everything that happens. Some celebrities may be irresponsible or misbehave and stories about that come up but not all the stories we see are the truth. We can’t just expect everything we read to be ‘the truth’ but we can hold celebrities responsible for their behavior when it comes to certain things like underage drinking, drinking and driving, overdose of substances, etc. These are things done as an act of free will, no one told you to do that and it's not like there isn’t warning in advertisements on TV, websites and even boards on the highway tell you not to drink and drive. (Asking for more warnings than that is a bit much if you ask me). But as for their punishment, yes I think they should be punished just like you and I would be there is no reason for them not to be. They know the consequences and they know that there are probably a lot of young people looking up on them.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mikella!
    I agree with your opinion on how celebrities should not be put on a pedestal. I liked how you included the other side of the spectrum where some of the things the media portrays about celebrities may not be true as anything can be taken out of context and we shouldn't believe everything that we see on the internet.Since celebrities are people too, I also agree that they should receive the same punishments as us and they shouldn't be excused just because of their high status.
    I think you really put in a lot of thought into your post and explained things well! I hope to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said that they shouldn't be blamed for everything we hear about celebrities on the internet. They shouldn't be exempted from the bad things that they did but they do suffer from the scrutiny of the public eye even when they hadn't done anything wrong. I really like your opinion.

    ReplyDelete